After inventing dynamite swedish born-ĐỀ THI THỬ ĐẠI HỌC MÔN TIẾNG ANH- NĂM 2011(PART 8) – có đáp án . ĐỀ THI THỬ ĐẠI HỌC MÔN TIẾNG ANH- NĂM 2011(PART 8)
Readthe passage and choose the best answer:
After inventing dynamite, Swedish-born Alfred Nobel became a very rich man. However, he foresaw its universally destructive powers too late. Nobel preferred not to be remembered as the inventor of dynamite, so in 1895, just two weeks before his death•, he created a fund to be used for awarding prizes to people who had made worthwhile contributions to humanity. Originally there were five awards: literature, physics, chemistry, medicine, and peace. Economics was added in 1968, just sixty-seven years after the first awards ceremony.
Nobel’s original legacy of nine million dollars was invested, and the interest on this sum is used for the awards which vary from $30,000 to $125,000.
Every year on December 10, the anniversary of Nobel’s death, the awards (gold medal, illuminated diploma, and money) are presented to the winners. Sometimes politics plays an important role in the judges’ decisions. Americans have won numerous science awards, but relatively few literature prizes.
No awards were presented from 1940 to 1942 at the beginning of World War 11. Some people have won two prizes, but this is rare; others have shared their prizes.
71. The word “foresaw” in the first paragraph is nearest in meaning to __
A. prevailed B. postponed C. prevented D. predicted
72. The Nobel prize was established in order to ___
A recognize worthwhile contributions to humanity B. resolve political differences
C. honor the inventor of dynamite D. spend money
73. In which area have Americans received the most awards?
A Literature B. Peace C. Economics D. Science
74. All of the following statements are true EXCEPT
A. Awards vary in monetary value
B. ceremonies are held on December 10 to commemorate Nobel’s invention
C. Politics plays an important role in selecting the winners
D. A few individuals have won two awards
75. In how many fields are prizes bestowed?
A. 2 B. 5 C.6 D. 10
76. It is implied that Nobel’s profession was in ____
A economics B. medicine C. literature D. science
77. In the first paragraph, “worthwhile” is closest in meaning to ___
A. economic B. prestigious C. trivial D. valuable
78. How much money did Nobel leaves for the prizes?
A. $30,000 B. $125,000 C. $155,000 D. $9,000,000
79. What is the main idea of this passage?
A. Alfred Nobel became very rich when he invented dynamite.
B. Alfred Nobel created awards in six categories for contributions to humanity.
C. Alfred Nobel left all of his money to science
D. Alfred Nobel made a lasting contribution to humanity
80. The word “legacy” in the second paragraph means most nearly the same as ____
A. legend B. bequest C. prize D. debt